Here are a few of our most popular services at our pharmacy location. Hometown Pharmacy offers a wide range of services expanding further than the typical prescription refill that you'd expect from a pharmacy. From proactive health tests, wellness programs, a full front end gift & boutique area, and even long term care solutions, Hometown Pharmacy has you covered for all of your needs. Stop in today!
Hometown Pharmacy continues over 135 years of constant pharmaceutical service to the Janesville community.
By purchasing both the pharmacy business and the old post office building in 2016 Laura and Hometown Pharmacy Partners have expressed their belief in the future of downtown Janesville.
The pharmaceutical service started at the corner of Milwaukee and Jackson street around 1888 when the building on the southwest corner was built. The service continued from 1888 to 1992 in the same building until Pete Kealey moved it into the old post office building.
In 1888 the service was started by a pharmacist named King. Ownership changed around the year 1900 and the name was changed to Reliable Pharmacy.
From about 1900 to about 1920 Dr. Pember & Dr. Nuzum had their offices on the second floor and the Reliable Pharmacy was on the first floor of the same corner building. When the doctors moved their offices and the Reliable Drug Store to their new clinic at 500 W. Milwaukee Street, Jay Bliss started or moved his Bliss Pharmacy to the corner building.
Jay Bliss owned his Bliss Pharmacy in this 225 W. Milwaukee building from about 1920 until his death from a heart attack in 1947. The story is that upon his sudden death two competing groups of pharmacists wanted to buy the Bliss pharmacy. Rather than submitting two competing bids to his widow, the two groups met and drew cards to determine the winning group which then presented only the low bid purchasing price to the widow.
Around 1948 or 1949 Pharmacists Parish & Bailey bought the pharmacy from the Bliss widow. The pharmaceutical service continued in the corner building as Parish & Bailey Drug for the next 18 years until Kealey bought it and named it Kealey Pharmacy & Homecare Service in 1966. Their aim was to provide a “One Stop Shop” for home care needs.
James P Kealey R. Ph. & Evelyn Ambrose Kealey R.N. expanded the pharmacy from 1,400 sq.ft. to 4,200 sq. ft. . The expanded area was used to provide durable medical equipment such as hospital beds, oxygen & wheelchairs needed to keep patients at home. More space and a better docking area was still needed so the pharmacy/homecare service was moved to the nearby old post office building in 1992. This increased the floor space from the 4,200 sq.ft. to over 9000 sq.ft.. It increased the available parking spots from three on street spots to over twenty off street parking spots. It also provided the pharmacy/homecare service with an efficient loading/unloading area and employee parking. The continuous drug service was maintained. Same service in a different building.
We sponsor the Janesville Kiwanis Club Truck on Ice. We take part in Downtown Janesville events including Spring and Fall Wine Walks and Trick or Treating.